Way back in 1899 the first chemical plant, the “Antwerp Chemical Works” came to Beerse, to the site of our present factory.
This company was replaced several times and on 30 December 1912 a new company was set up under the name of “Compagnie Métallurgique de la Campine”.
In addition to the two factories on the Antwerp Canal, the original assets included two boats of approximately 90 tonnes: the “August” and the “Julius”. The two factories – known as the West Factory and the East Factory – were engaged in quite distinct activities, including antimony (used in those days as a hardener for lead), copper, bronze, silver and zinc.
At the end of the First World War, the Board of Directors, faced with a particularly difficult situation, was forced to sacrifice one of its branches in order to stimulate renewed growth and recovery. In 1919 Metallo-Chimique bought the East Factory (copper), permitting the rebuilding of the West Factory (antimony and derivatives).
After the sale, the Compagnie Métallurgique decided to expand its antimony activities with lead production. These two major divisions exist to this day, although they have expanded to include, as from 1924 antimony oxide production and as from 1934 lead oxides.
In 1936 introduction to Brussels’ stock exchange, where the company is still represented to this date with the ticker symbol "CAMB".
In 1965 Campine changed the antimony focus toward fire retardancy to tackle the diminishing need for antimony in glass.
Increased health consciousness in the market lead to the introduction of our first low dust Sb2O3 quality in 1980. At the same time, market asked for improved translucency & reduced pigment use for PVC. Campine offered its first Z-quality for PVC.
Since 1984 Campine has delivered antimony trioxide used as a polycondensation catalyst for PET production. PET then became one of the main packaging materials, extensively used for the production of plastics bottles to this date.
In 1987 Campine added plastic compounding operations, based on antimony oxides to its production activities and the Plastics Division was set up. In the next years, it would add other flame retardant masterbatches to its portfolio to become a globally reputed provider of flame-retardant masterbatch solutions to its worldwide customers.
In 1991 Campine obtained its first ISO 9002 certification for all its plastics products.
This is testimony of the company's focus on quality, and on environmental protecting as later testified by our ISO 14001 certificates.
In 1992 the lead division was completely renovated into an ultramodern recycling unit for spent lead batteries and scrap.
The same year the company changed its name into “Campine nv”.
The increased safety regulations lead to a focus on the production of flame retardant masterbatches by extrusion in 1994.
In 1996 Campine decided to focus more on the application of antimony for PET-production. After many tests and process improvements a special team developed new catalyst grades now known as Campine C grades.
In 2002 the company was split into Campine and Campine Recycling. All assets, personnel and services of the lead recycling activity were transferred to Campine Recycling, a fully owned subsidiary of Campine N.V.
The BU Plastics installed a modern and efficient twin-screw plastics extruder to increase capacity and productivity and to improve its product range.
As of 2005 we have systematically improved our competences, skills and infrastructure.
In 2006 the extended exploitation permit for lead recycling was finally and formally approved.
A number of specific measures were taken to further improve safety, health and environmental performance; such as the creation of an extra waste water basin, building of a new battery hall.
In 2007 a part of the non-developed part of the Campine site was transferred into a nature reserve following an agreement with the Natuurpunt ecology agency.
In 2012 Campine celebrated its 100 years of existence, a year of celebration of a century of existence with its customers, suppliers and employees.
Campine, Closer to the Future.